Being a Disney addict with a special need’s child made my experience at Disney particularly difficult. That was until another mom with a special needs child told me the secret that was never meant to be a secret. She told me about the DAS program.
The Disability Access Service (DAS) is a program that is intended to help park guests who have a disability or have a family member with a disability that prevents them from being able to wait in a typical line.
Disney says that they try to make sure that every guest gets the opportunity to experience the most wonderful place on earth, no matter your special circumstances. I always heard this, but I never personally experienced it until we learned about the pass.
My son has ADHD, Asperger’s, and cerebral palsy, which means waiting in long lines with him is close to impossible.
This is exactly the reason that the DAS program was made.
DAS is to help park guests who have a disability or have a family member with a disability that stops them from being able to wait in a long line. The DAS is not for guests who have a mobility issue, only for those who can’t wait in a normal line. A guest whose disability is based on the need to use a wheelchair or scooter does not qualify for the DAS program.
Once you get the DAS pass it is good for up to 60 days, depending on your ticket. For annual pass holders, you will need to renew your DAS pass every 60 days or as needed.
Here is how to see if you qualify for the DAS pass!
- Get to Walt Disney World
- Go to Guest Relations at the main entrance of the park you are going to:
Magic Kingdom – City Hall
Animal Kingdom – Guest relations lobby near the main entrance
Hollywood Studios – Guest relations lobby near turnstiles
Epcot – Guest relations lobby near Spaceship Earth
- Speak to guest relations cast members to receive individualized assistance based on your specific needs.
A guest relations cast member may be able to help with other accommodations if the DAS pass is not right for you.
If you qualify, the registration process is pretty simple.
- You will need to provide your information to the guest relations cast member.
- The cast member will take a picture of the guest that requires the DAS pass.
- You will need to present the tickets for all the members of the party. They will all link in the DAS system.
- The cast member will review the information and ask you to sign the terms & conditions.
At that point, you are all done with the DAS registration process. All you have to do now is enjoy the park.
Using the DAS pass is super easy!
All you have to do is:
- Go to an attraction
- Let them know you have a DAS pass
- Show them your ticket
- They will scan it and give you a return time, which is similar to the current wait times.
- At that point, you are free to enjoy other theme park offerings such as meeting a character, grabbing a bite to eat, enjoying entertainment and you can even visit another attraction until your return time.
- You just show your ticket to the cast member and let them know you have a return time.
- After you ride that ride, you can use the DAS pass again for either that ride or another one.
Some important facts to know when using your DAS pass are:
- Disney is unable to provide accommodations in advance of a guest visit.
- You can use the DAS in conjunction with Disney FastPass+ Service.
- Cast members can only issue one active return time at a time.
- Return times are valid to redeem from return time until prior to park closing.
- The member that has the DAS must be riding the ride that you are requesting the DAS return time for.
- This being said, any member of the party originally registered can run ahead and request a return time for the whole party.
- Only the members of your party that originally registered, with a valid ticket, can use the return times with the guest that has the pass. So, this means that the entire party must be there when you originally registered, or you will not be able to ride with the DAS pass member.
Editor’s Note: Before you plan your next trip to Disney, be sure to check out all of our amazing Disney content! From information about annual passes to where to get Disney gear to our exclusive Disney Guide, you’ll have everything you need to plan a Disney experience your family won’t soon forget!