I don’t know about you, but I am of the belief that everyone should have at least one really good chicken salad recipe in their repertoire. So in case you don’t have one, let me introduce you to this little taste of southern heaven.
My Favorite Southern Chicken Salad
Over the past few weeks I’ve been insanely homesick. All I want to do is sit on my mama’s back porch with my whole family and all of our favorite foods. I want to watch Gaby play with her cousins in the backyard with the smell of the smoker cooking gobs and gobs of meat.
Most importantly, togetherness, laughing, and telling story after story is exactly what my heart needs. Therefore, when I get in these super homesick all-I-can-think-about-is-home moods, I do what any foodie would do. I start making all of my favorite southern foods.
It is amazing how food triggers our brains to remember the wonderful times we’ve had over the years.
As a result, I think this is one of the reasons I love cooking so much.
It’s a beautiful way of showing people you love them, a fun and messy way to create memories with your babies, and most of all — who doesn’t just love to EAT?!
Now, you may not be southern like me, but let me tell you, that’s not going to stop you from loving this amazing chicken salad! It’s super versatile and can be served for many occasions.
Brunch, lunch, baby showers, picnics…
Chicken salad can be served anytime and anywhere!
Because I like to make life easier when I can, I use an already prepared organic Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Which means this salad can be made in less than thirty minutes! Chop up a few veggies, pecans, and grapes.
Please don’t forget the grapes: an essential ingredient in southern chicken salad!
Meanwhile, stir in just enough mayonnaise until you’ve reached the consistency you love most. I say this because I’ve learned over the years some people like a lot of mayo and some like just enough to make everything stick together! Do you, Boo!
Summertime means a couple of things: lots of outdoor days and a whole bunch of hungry kids! Serve this southern chicken salad at your next picnic or summer barbecue for a super fun and easy way to fill people up!
Don’t forget the grapes and croissants for a more southern experience! 😉
- 1 Rotisserie chicken, remove skin and bones, finely chopped
- 2 - 3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup grapes, halved or quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped; optional
- 1/2 - 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 - 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- croissants, sliced bread, or mixed greens for serving
- Put the first 5 ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Mix together well.
- Now, add the mayo start off with 1/2 a cup and add more as needed until you get the consistency you like most. Add salt and pepper for taste and give it one more good stir.
- Serve with croissants, sliced bread, or mixed greens.
- Refrigerate leftovers for 3 - 4 days.