If anyone enjoys Cuban cuisine, then you need this recipe for black beans! When developing this recipe, I decided to go a bit on the easy route and use canned beans. If you want to go the extra mile and make them from scratch, go for it. However, this recipe is really good and takes a fraction of the time.
Another great thing about this recipe is the flavor is even better the next day. You can also incorporate the beans into other dishes. For example:
- Add a little chicken stock or vegetable stock (for vegetarian) and blend the beans in a blender, reheat and you have black bean soup
- Spread on a taco with some lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, protein, and cilantro
- Make a delicious quesadilla by adding some cheese, cooked onions and mushrooms to the beans
- And of course, the classic way, on top of rice. To take it up a notch, add 2 fried eggs and now it’s “montado a caballo”
Next time you go to the grocery, stock up on canned black beans, you will thank me!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper (diced small)
- 1 green pepper (diced small)
- 1 Vidalia onion (diced small)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 cans of black beans, drain half the liquid (I use “El Ebro” but you can use whichever)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (you can use regular paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (chopped)
HOW TO MAKE
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, add the oil, onions, red and green peppers and cook until the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Make sure to stir every so often.
- Add the garlic and cook a few more minutes, while continuing to stir.
- Add the black beans and mix everything well.
- Add the cumin, salt, pepper, turmeric, smoked paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder and mix everything well.
- Throw in the bay leaves, lower to low, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the vinegar and cilantro, stir and serve.
Make sure you taste the recipe before serving. If you feel it can use a little more spice, add at least 5 – 10 minutes before serving to make sure it is well incorporated.
Try this recipe for dinner and add it to some rice, you will be happy you did!