2021: The year we dialed in our daily meals
Many claim that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but when we sat down to meal plan for our family, we realized it was the one meal we didn’t have covered.
My family and home life in 2021 have revolved a lot around food and routine. My second daughter was born on December 29, 2020. I stayed active my entire pregnancy in the hopes that I could get back to my health and fitness journey safely and admittedly, quickly. Before I found out I was pregnant this time, I had just lost my last pound of baby weight from my first pregnancy. It had taken me 18 months, a few lifestyle adjustments, and hard work. I wanted to maintain my momentum with workouts throughout my pregnancy because I didn’t want to lose ground when it came to caring for myself the way I had learned to.
Of course, I couldn’t work out for weeks postpartum so nutrition became my focus. My household had to come along for the ride! Since the beginning of this year we have been evaluating our days, nutrition needs, and meals. We had a working system for lunches, dinners, and snacks.
The Precursor to Our Family Breakfast Solution: Egg Cups a la Britton
Breakfast was the gap. For months my husband would buy whatever lower-carb breakfast sandwich type food was on sale. He found a few he really liked but once they were no longer on sale, they would be a lot more expensive regular priced. I’m talking $4-$5 a serving. To my delight, he finally became frustrated enough with the weeks where sale items were not as tasty and decided to make his own. We decided to go after the egg cup concept rather than a wrap or sandwich-style breakfast.
The Final Product: Breakfast Egg Cups
We experimented quite a bit and finally settled on the below recipe. We found steaming was the best way to cook them and love these silicone molds we found on amazon. It is so much fun because you can change it up and create completely new combinations week after week. They’re also easy to make and store! Our whole family loves them so it is the one meal we prep for the family on a weekly basis. That’s right, even our toddler loves them.
I really hope you all enjoy these as much as we do!
Egg Cups a la Britton
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese Can substitute coconut milk yogurt for a non-dairy option
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese See notes for cheese suggestions, can substitute with non-dairy shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup diced vegetable See notes for veggie suggestions
- 1/2 cup diced meat/plant-based alternative See notes for meat suggestions
- Dice vegetable(s) and meat, set aside.
- Combine eggs and cheese in a blender and blend well.
- Pour egg and cheese mixture evenly into molds.
- Evenly distribute diced vegetables and meat into each cup.
- Cover molds with lids, put them on stands.
- Bring a large pot of water to medium heat. Cover with a lid until steam forms (Instapot works too), put the molds on their stands into the pot and recover.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the stand from the pot and let rest. Be careful as they're very hot.
- Once cooled you can remove the cups from the molds and store in the refrigerator. We make enough for a family of three (yes, even our toddler likes them) with three rounds of molds. We package them by twos and store in the refrigerator for easy grab and go breakfasts in the morning.
- Reheat in microwave for 1 minute upon serving.
- swiss, spinach, and breakfast sausage;
- parmesan, pepper, and ground pork
- cheddar, chilis, and chorizo - MY FAVE.