What kid doesn’t LOVE a chicken nugget?!
Better yet, what ADULT doesn’t love a chicken nugget?! I know I do! My little girl would live off chicken nuggets if I let her. We try to broaden her horizon in the food department by begging her to try different foods. Especially when she’s sitting on the counter in the kitchen cooking with me. However, somehow we always come back to Mr. Nugget!
We’re about to enter a new season of life next month called, “Gaby goes to Preschool.” It’s so bitter-sweet. I’ve had a good six months or so to prepare myself for this, but for some reason I still feel like I’m not ready to send my baby off to school every day. Deep down inside I know she’s ready to spread her little wings, learn new things, and meet friends. If I’m completely honest, I just want to keep her at home with me – forever. I’ve been so lucky to be able to stay home with her for her first 3 years of life. The bond we have is truly amazing and I know that God has wonderful things in store for her.
All of this to say, for the last couple of months, all I’ve been thinking about is:
“HOW can I get dinner on the table FAST when she gets home from school?!”
Who wants to spend countless hours in the kitchen cooking and cleaning? I would rather be able to spend plenty of time with my girl as soon as she gets home from school. We’re about to be on a REAL SCHOOL SCHEDULE for the very first time ever! (Can you tell I’m a little bit nervous?)
So, I’ve been coming up with different 30 Minute Meals that get dinner on the table quick. No, I’m not trying to be Rachael Ray! Although, I do love her concept of 30 Minute Meals and being able to have more family time.
Without further ado, let me introduce you to our favorite homemade chicken nuggets!
These nuggets are a perfect way to get dinner on the table fast!
The only kitchen supplies you will need for this simple dinner are:
- one bowl
- a Ziplock bag
- a baking sheet with a wire rack placed on top.
I use the wire rack so the nuggets don’t get soggy on the bottom. The heat is able to travel all around the nugget keeping a consistent texture.
While the chicken bakes, I cook my veggies and dinner is served! I hope you love these nuggets as much as we do! Bon Appettit!
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup half and half or milk
- 1 1/4 lb - 1 1/2 lb boneless/skinless chicken thighs or breast, cut into 2 inch bites
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with a wire rack (I actually used 2 baking sheets. You don't want to crowd the chicken nugget!)
- Add the eggs and half and half to a bowl and whisk together. Set aside for a minute or two.
- Add the almond flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper to a gallon size Ziplock bag. Zip the bag and shake the ingredients together very well.
- Next, add the chicken to the egg wash, let the egg wash drip off, and add the chicken to the Ziplock bag.
- Continue doing this until all of the chicken is in the Ziplock bag. Zip the bag completely and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE until all of the chicken is coated in the almond flour.
- Add the chicken nuggets to your prepared sheet pan(s).
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and flip the nuggets over. Bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauces and eat!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Reheat in a dry pan on medium to medium high heat on the stove until warmed through.
- I like to keep one hand clean and one hand dirty so nothing gets cross contaminated.
- Cooking the nuggets on a wire rack keeps them from getting soggy on the bottom. The heat is able to go through the top and the bottom of each nugget!