My brand new Steel Cut Oats and Apples recipe was birthed with a need to rid my refrigerator of so many apples. Our weather may not feel like fall in South Florida, but one thing is for sure: apples and pumpkin have entered our home and are here to stay. Happy Fall, y’all!
My husband and I try our hardest to eat an apple a day. You know, to keep the doctor away?! Some days we’re really good about it, some days not so much!
I opened up my fruit drawer one afternoon and realized I looked like an apple hoarder. Obviously, my brain started thinking of all the different foods I could make so they didn’t spoil.
One of the recipes I created was my oats and apples. Can I just say I love this recipe for several reasons:
- It’s super healthy and filling. You can’t get much more healthier than oats and chia seeds.
- These oats are perfect for a “make ahead breakfast”. I love to breakfast prep!
- Gaby asks for these oats every morning for breakfast! YAY!
When I realized how much she loved these oats and apples I immediately made a big batch, poured the oats into a Pyrex dish, and popped it in the fridge for the easiest breakfast ever! I’m not a fan of using the microwave, so I reheat in a little skillet on the stove with a little splash of milk for about 5 minutes.
BOOM! Breakfast is served! How easy is that?! Now, I prefer steel cut oats over regular oats. Choose whichever you prefer. Quick little tip: Whole Foods carries a quick cooking steel cut oats so this recipe can be made in under 15 minutes. It’s a win-win, don’t you think?!
I hope you love this recipe as much as Gaby does! Stay tuned for some super fun and kid friendly fall treats and sweets! I’ve got some delicious recipes up my sleeve and I can’t wait to share them with you! If you’re interested in more make ahead breakfast ideas, go check out this post.
Now, let’s go have a bowl of oats and pray for some fall like weather!
- 1 can 13.5 oz can coconut milk (I use full fat)
- 2 cups filtered water
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup coconut sugar or cane sugar
- 1 cup steel cut oats (quick cooking or regular)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup raisins, optional
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- Garnish with nut butter, granola, coconut chips, or raisins; optional
- In a medium size saucepan bring the coconut milk, water, salt, cinnamon, and sugar to a boil.
- Once the liquid boils, add the oats and chia seeds. Stir well and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook until all of the liquid has absorbed. (The time will really depend on if you're using quick cooking or not.) Regardless, still delicious!
- While the oats cook, add a little pat of butter to a small saute pan and cook the apple on medium heat until tender OR you can just throw the apple in with the oats and let it cook.
- Once your oats are ready garnish with your favorite toppings. I added a few slices of raw apple, almond butter, and granola. We couldn't get enough!
- Double this recipe and refrigerate for a make ahead breakfast for a quick and easy breakfast during the week. Scoop out as much as you need each morning and reheat on the stove or in the microwave. Quick and easy!