I believe that every girl deserves to know how to create a good taco and margarita night, so today I’m giving you a taco night checklist and a simple margarita recipe. I mean seriously, this qualifies as good self-care in my book!
While there’s no limit on toppings or creativity to make tacos and margaritas, we’re going to talk about the basics today. I’m all about setting the tone for a good theme night, so we’re making a taco checklist that includes fun accessories, nutritious tips, and your basic taco setup. Plus, we’ll go over a clean and simple margarita recipe (no pre-made mix necessary here.) Hello, bartender momma with skills. Authentic marg recipe, who dis!?
Taco Night Checklist
One thing I love about tacos is that there are zero rules you need to follow so don’t ever feel limited by options or traditional cuisine. If you have a unique idea, don’t be afraid to give it a try! For today’s purpose, we’re talking delicious and simple.
My one overall tip is this:
To make this a nutritious meal, check the ingredients in each product you buy. Choosing the food product with the most natural ingredients makes a big difference in taste and health benefits.
- ✅ Meat: shredded chicken, carne asada, ground beef, fish, shrimp or go vegetarian!
- ✅ Meat Seasoning: whether you go the store-bought or the homemade route, I find that there is usually a minimal difference in taste if you buy a good, natural seasoning without all the extra preservatives.
- ✅ Taco Shell: corn, flour, hard, soft, or all of the above! (I usually like to choose two because my family enjoys the option in texture)
- TIP: there are even some more nutritious grain-free options like shells made of cassava, chickpea, and coconut and they’re actually really good!
- ✅ Cheese: shredded Mexican or Cotija cheese
- ✅ Guacamole: I’m going to pause here for a moment because making a homemade guac can really be a game-changer here. The flavors are incredible! If you need a good recipe, Downshiftology has a fresh and easy one!
- ✅ Pico de Gallo: Like guac, a homemade-style pico goes a long way!
- ✅ Sour Cream
- TIP: use organic plain whole milk yogurt instead of sour cream to add probiotics to your meal! Trust me on this and give it a try.
- ✅ Greens: Shredded romaine or chopped coleslaw mix
- ✅ Fresh Cilantro: this always bumps up presentation and flavor!
- ✅ Fun Extras: Beans (refried or regular pinto, black) and Mexican Street Corn
- ✅ Set the Tone: Liven up the table with taco holders, a colorful runner, theme plates, and fun margarita glasses!
The Simplest Margarita Recipe
There are some GOOD margarita recipes out there and eventually, you just make it your own. But I think every momma should have a recipe on hand for a clean + simple marg, so here’s my current favorite recipe by The Tipsy Bartender. Umm… is it 5 o’clock yet?!
- 1 1/2 oz. (45ml) tequila
- 1 oz. (30ml) Cointreau or Triple Sec
- TIP: These are both delicious, but the key difference here is that Cointreau has 40% alcohol while Triple Sec is typically 20-25% alcohol
- 3/4 oz. (22ml) fresh lime juice
- Garnish with salt + lime
It’s as Easy as 1,2,3…cheers!
- Rim edge of a margarita glass in lime juice and coarse salt. Set aside.
- Combine tequila, Cointreau, and fresh lime juice with ice and shake well.
- Add ice to rimmed glass and strain mix over. Garnish with a lime wheel.
There you have it, ladies! The basic essentials to some taco + marg soul food. I’d love to see you enjoy this goodness, so be sure tag @miamimomsblog at your next taco night or the next time you enjoy this simple margarita recipe. Salud, mis amigas!