“Mommy, can I please have cookies for breakfast?!”
This is the infamous question I get every morning. So, I have to start this post off by asking a question: Does your child(ren) wake up in the morning and literally beg for something sweet, like cookies, to eat for breakfast?
I’m not just talking about the occasional Pop-Tart or sugary bowl of cereal. I’m talking about my child begging for ice cream and cookies every single morning when her feet hit the floor. She doesn’t want the homemade gluten free pancakes or the oatmeal that I’ve made in advance. Nope, not even the delicious blueberry muffin sitting on the counter screaming, “Pick me! Pick me!” Please, please, please tell me I’m not alone in this matter of dessert for breakfast, every single day? Why I spend hours every weekend pre-making breakfast foods for the week, I haven’t a clue. I am a “Breakfast Prepper,” if you haven’t noticed!
I’m slowly learning to pick my battles with my three-nager. Because I aim to please (most of the time) and really need a little peace first thing in the morning, I’ve created some breakfast cookies. And not just any cookies… HEALTHY little beauties that are full of wholesome, absolutely delicious, and truly good-for-you ingredients.
Maybe I’m crazy in doing this, so we’ll go ahead and call this a “mother-daughter compromise.” But I have to tell you, I’m completely happy with Gaby starting the day with one of these Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies. Seeing her little face light up first thing in the morning when I gladly give one to her starts our morning off so much better; becauase when there’s an issue that can easily be fixed, this mama is all about fixing it… even if it’s in the form of some cookies. My strong-willed child will not defeat me, in Jesus’ name! You want cookies for breakfast?! You’re going to eat healthy cookies, instead of something filled with garbage.
And all the mamas said a loud and proud, “AMEN.”
Let me tell you what ingredients I used to make these cookies healthy:
- oats for fiber
- coconut flakes which are rich in vitamins and minerals
- chia seeds for Omega 3 fatty acids
- nut butter for some healthy fats (brain food!)
- real maple syrup (not Aunt Jemima!)
If you’ve got 30 minutes to spare, you’ve got just enough time to make a batch of these Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies for your sweet babies. I hope y’all love these as much as Gaby did! I can’t tell you how many unexpected sweet hugs and kisses I’ve gotten this week.
PS… The glaze on top of the cookies isn’t necessary. I just thought it looked prettier and a little more inviting (less healthy to my child’s eyes)! Enjoy!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup nut butter of choice (I used almond butter)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips to keep them dairy free)
- For the Glaze (which is totally optional - I thought it made the cookies look prettier!
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment; set aside.
- Add the oats, coconut, and chia seeds to a food processor or blender. Pulse for about 10 seconds until broken down into fine pieces. It doesn't need to be a flour consistency.
- Next, add the pumpkin, maple syrup, nut butter, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt and vanilla. Process until a sticky dough is formed; about 15 - 20 seconds of pulsing.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Tip: I like to use a mini ice cream scoop to form my balls. Lay each ball out on the prepared sheet pan and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Carefully remove the cookies from the pan and on to a cooling rack. Let the cookies completely cool before adding the glaze.
- For the Glaze: simply stir the powdered sugar and milk together. Drizzle on top of each cookie as desired.
- I like to store the cookies in an airtight container and refrigerate for longer shelf life!