MOM STRONG is Miami Mom Collective’s health and wellness initiative. We are excited to bring you monthly health and wellness events and digital content themes to help you grow in prioritizing yourself and your family wherever you are in your health and wellness journey!
We’ll be popping up at gyms, fitness studios, and green spaces all over town every month. Our 1st MOM STRONG event was March 13th at Lox Fitness, followed by Full Moon Yoga at Trump National Doral on April 6th, Infrared Cardio with Cosmo Contour on April 28th, and Lit & Lean Silent Disco at The Gates Hotel on May 19th.
Upcoming MOM STRONG Event
June 13 | VXN Dance Fitness with Cha Cha at Lincoln’s Beard Brewery
Tickets are $10 per person, and you can purchase yours here.
This Month’s MOM STRONG Theme: Mental Health and Wellness
Mental Health Awareness Month is here, and we’re excited to take a moment to discuss this important topic that affects so many of us. We all know that mental health is an essential part of our overall well-being, but we often neglect it because we’re too busy, or we think that our problems aren’t significant enough to warrant attention. However, taking care of our mental health is just as important as taking care of our physical health.
What is Mental Health?
Mental health encompasses everything from our ability to handle stress to our capacity for self-awareness and empathy.
Good mental health allows us to enjoy life and deal with its ups and downs. It enables us to form healthy relationships, work productively, and make meaningful contributions to our community. On the other hand, poor mental health can lead to a range of issues, including anxiety, depression, addiction, and relationship problems.
Unique Coping Strategies
We‘ve all heard of the typical coping strategies for stress and anxiety such as mindfulness, meditation, and exercise. While all of those are great ways to cope, here are some more unique ideas:
- Animal therapy: Spending time with animals can be therapeutic and help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Aromatherapy: Using scents, such as essential oils, can have a calming effect and promote relaxation.
- Creative activities: Engaging in creative activities such as painting, drawing, writing, or dancing can help reduce stress, promote mindfulness, and increase self-expression.
- Laughter therapy: Laughing can boost mood, decrease stress hormones, and improve overall well-being.
- Progressive muscle relaxation: This technique involves tensing and relaxing different muscle groups to reduce tension and promote relaxation.
- Sensory-based activities: Activities that involve different senses, such as listening to music, taking a warm bath, or using a weighted blanket, can help with relaxation.
Why It’s Important to Have a Support System
Having someone that you trust to talk to and share emotions with can provide immense relief and comfort. It also allows you to share feelings and thoughts without judgment or fear of rejection while receiving empathy, validation, and understanding.
Getting practical support like meal delivery, transportation, or financial assistance can
help reduce stress and improve your overall well-being.
As we close out Mental Health Awareness Month, it’s important to remember that taking care of our mental health is an ongoing process.
One of the best things we can do for ourselves is to surround ourselves with positive, supportive people who uplift and encourage us. Building a strong support system and practicing self-care can help us weather life’s challenges and maintain our mental well-being. Remember, it’s okay to not be okay sometimes, and seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness. Let’s continue to prioritize our mental health and wellness, and break down the stigmas that can prevent us from getting the help we need.