THE EASIEST RECIPE I’VE EVER MADE
Summertime is the best time for watermelon, can we agree? I love to eat watermelon, any time of year really is good for me. The sweetness, the health benefits, and simply the taste all win for me. Watermelon season truly runs from July through August. So while you’re out having all of that summer fun, this watermelon salad is a great picnic snack or party pleaser.
It can get confusing when trying to pick out the perfect watermelon, so here are some tips and tricks to help.
LET’S START WITH THE BENEFITS
Adding in all the other ingredients only enhances the nutrients of this watermelon salad recipe.
- Watermelon is made up of over 90% water. We all know we need to hydrate, especially down here in South Florida, so sometimes we can also eat our water intake.
- As far as fruits go, watermelon is one of the lowest in calories. Roughly 46 calories per cup. So don’t worry about your calorie count.
- Vitamins and nutrients. We don’t often think about all of the nutrients in fruits, besides the obvious. Watermelon contains Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamins B1, B5, and B6.
- Watermelon also has been shown to have cancer-fighting properties. Researchers have studied lycopene and other individual plant compounds in watermelon for their anti-cancer effects.
WATERMELON SALAD RECIPE
- watermelon chunks (cut yourself or purchase pre-cut)
- black sliced olives
- crumbled feta cheese (we use vegan)
- olive oil
- dash of Himalayan pink salt (to taste)
- lemon (1-2, to taste)
- red wine vinegar
Add the watermelon chunks, feta, and olives to a large serving bowl. Whisk the lemon, vinegar, and olive oil with a pinch of salt together. Then pour the dressing over the watermelon.
Basically, just toss it all together. You can add lemon and red wine vinegar to taste. Some people like it a bit more tangy while others like it a bit subdued. Either way, serve it chilled and you’re done. To spice it up a bit add onion and mint. Black pepper optional.