5, 4, 3, 2, 1… Happy New Year!!
You can celebrate “Noon Year’s Eve,” or “New Year’s Eve” at midnight… either way, 2021 is almost here and EVERYONE is looking forward to it! Our kids are no exception, so let’s make it as fun as possible! I’ve gathered up my favorite kid-friendly activities that you can do at home to celebrate the new year.
Hand Made Noise Makers
- Paper plates
- Color and decorate the back of 2 paper plates.
- Pick out 6-10 beads to put inside.
- Staple plates together with the beads inside.
- Shake your noisemakers to ring in the new year!
Pipe Cleaner Party Hats
- Pipe cleaners (metallic pipe cleaners are the most festive)
- Twist pipe cleaners together to form a crown
- Add more pipe cleaners for fun decorations on your crown! Make them twisty, twirly, or just a simple crown (see photo above for some quick ideas).
- Blow up balloons.
- Count down… really just for anticipation to build.
- Throw balloons in the air and play!
**Bonus Activity: Keep the Balloons Off the Ground**
This is one of my kids’ favorite games! Just keep bouncing the balloons up to the sky so they don’t touch the ground. Rules can be made up and adjusted based on the age of the kids. I would also recommend starting with one balloon per kid so there is no fighting.
Glittery Fizzy Fun
- Baking soda
- Plastic party glasses (we used oversized martini glasses)
- In your glass, mix baking soda and glitter.
- In your bowl, pour vinegar with a drop of water.
- Using your dropper, pour the solution into your glass and watch the glittery fizz erupt!
*If you enjoy this activity, you can find a bunch of fizzy variations by Kari at @entertainmytoddler, who comes up with a new one almost every season/holiday!
**Bonus Activity- Glitter Sensory Tray**
When you are done making fizz, pour the soaked baking soda onto a tray a let your kiddos smush around and play!
- Toilet paper roll
- Packing tape
- Cut the tip of the balloon.
- Knot the other end of the balloon.
- Put the balloon on the toilet paper roll and secure it with tape.
- Decorate your toilet paper rolls with stickers and markers… or anything else you want to use.
- Fill the roll with a few scoops of confetti.
- Pull the balloon end down and let it POP!!!
- Have a dust buster ready for easy cleanup!
I hope you enjoy these fun ideas to enjoy at home with the kiddos. If you need some more ideas for your kids during winter break, check out this theme week plan and adjust for the season.
Wishing you and your families a safe and healthy new year!