When you become a grandparent, it is such an exciting time. The news that your child is having a child is overwhelming good news. Hearing that you will be a new grandparent can also make you wonder if you are ready for the new role. When it is your first grandchild, it is also your first time navigating this chapter of your life. I have found that grandparenting books offer insight and information that can help guide me. Here are my favorite books on this grandparent journey.
My Favorite Grandparenting Books
- Rocking it Grand: 18 Ways to be a Game-Changing Grandma by Shellie Rushing Tomlinson & Chrys Howard What women could I learn from better than those further ahead on the journey? The authors have more than 20 grandchildren between newborn and 30. Their wisdom and experience are golden. This book has 18 easy-to-read devotions with practical applications.
- Rockstar Grandparent: How You Can Lead the Way, Light the Road, and Launch a Legacy by Chrys Howard This book was written by one of the authors of the first book, Chrys Howard. If you didn’t know, Chrys Howard is the grandparent to Sadie Robertson, the daughter of Duck Dynasty‘s Robertson family. She shares how it can seem that the grandparent role is insignificant, but your influence matters. This book encourages a grandparent to remember the value of handing down their legacy to the next generation.
- The Power of a Praying Grandparent by Stormie Omartian I read her book, The Power of a Praying Parent when I was raising my children, and now, I am in the season of this book. When we pray for our grandchildren, many prayers are the same that we have prayed for our children, but there are also prayers that we haven’t prayed. This book helps address this new season grandparents are navigating.
- Poggy Chronicles: A Grandparent’s Challenge to Their Grandchildren by Hal & Sandy Mayer This book just came on the market, and I can’t wait to read it in full. What excites me about reading it is that I know the authors personally. I worked alongside Hal & Sandy Mayer for many years and learned much from their parenting skills. I can attest that what they write about, they truly do live. They have a grandparent camp each year called Camp Poggy.
- Nanaville by Anna Quindlen Written by a Pulitzer Prize author, Anna Quindlen puts into words just how I felt about becoming a grandparent. She dedicates this book to her grandson and writes with such love and humor about her experience as a new nana.
A Special Book of Legacy
6. Grandmother’s Journal: Memories and Keepsakes for My Grandchild The greatest gift we can give our grandchildren are the stories of our lives. It helps provide them with history and understand their family legacy. There are many different journals available. My daughter has gifted my husband and me with one and asked us to write all our stories, memories, and thoughts.
I’m in the toddler stages of being a grandparent. As they grow, I am sure that my book list will grow. My role in parenting and raising my children is done. I am now on the support team and offer unconditional love and encouragement. If you know a new grandparent looking for resources, these are my favorite books on this grandparent journey. I am hoping the more I learn about grandparenting, the better me I can offer to my grandchildren. They deserve for me to give them my best! If you have any other recommendations, we would love to hear from you!